The Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) at the HZDR invites you to an Open House Day. The event on September 4, 2021 is open to all. From 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., a small festival area with stage, tents and food stands will be set up for this purpose in the Uferpark next to the old capacitor plant in Görlitz, the future site of the center.
CASUS explores complex systems such as climate, biodiversity and exotic states of matter with the help of digital tools. During the event, CASUS scientists will present their work. But don’t expect long lectures. In the ask-a-scientist format there is only a short, personal introduction to the topic given by the scientist. Then you can get started right away with your questions – be it about specific research projects or more generally about life and work at a scientific institute in Görlitz.
One highlight will be the dome tent. Here, in the so-called aiRdome, three-dimensional models and simulations will be shown, which all have been made by the CASUS team and scientific partners in the course of their regular research activities – and which have been edited especially for the Open House event. On the one hand, the visualizations make clear how sophisticated the research of complex systems is. On the other hand, the fascinating images also captivate the visitors. In the late afternoon, the aiRdome images will be accompanied live by a sound artist located in Iceland.
Parallel to the CASUS event, the Görlitzer Kulturservicegesellschaft organizes a picnic in the Uferpark. On the occasion of the anniversary 950 years of Görlitz, the lettering “GÖRLITZ” formed from wooden tables will be completely on display for the first time.
The other program points at a glance:
– “Artificial intelligence for blood system research” – popular science lecture by Dr. Carsten Marr, Helmholtz Zentrum München
– presentation of CASUS in a short lecture
– guided tours through the former capacitor plant at the Neisse river (number of participants limited)
– What could the capacitor plant look like in the future? – exhibition of architectural models
– collection and evaluation of sticky notes “Wishes for the former capacitor plant”
– information points of the scientific partners of CASUS: Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR), Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research in Leipzig (UFZ), Max Planck Institute for Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics in Dresden (MPI-CBG), Technical University of Dresden (TUD) and University of Wrocław
– child care with arts and crafts as well as a water and boat playground
– drinks and food
The event will be held mostly in German. There will be a simultaneous translation into Polish of the keynote lecture and several other program points. Headphones are issued on site. As the CASUS scientists originate from all over the world, talking to them in English at the ask-a-scientist stands is of course also possible.
CASUS Open House Day
Date: September 4, 2021
Time: 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Location: Uferpark Görlitz, Germany