International OfficeBefore arrivalUpon arrival Living in GörlitzFamily friendlyWorking in GörlitzPublic transportation Leisure activities Emergencies and medical needsLeaving Germany

Living in Görlitz

Driver’s license

Driver’s licenses issued by EU- or EEA-countries are thoroughly valid in Germany.

Driver’s licenses issued by non-EU-countries are valid up to 6 months after your compulsory residency registration in Görlitz. After that, you need to apply for a German driver’s license. Some exceptions apply: under certain conditions you may extend the validity of your non-German driver’s license up to one year. If you plan on using a car in Germany, consider obtaining an international driver’s license in your home country prior to your relocation.

Car registration and vehicle tax

If you bring a car to Germany you need to register it within four weeks after your compulsory residency registration in Görlitz. Furthermore, you must pay a vehicle tax.

The following documents are needed:

  • a valid passport or ID card;
  • a driver’s license;
  • a residency registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung);
  • proof of ownership (part II of the car’s registration certificate);
  • proof of car insurance (eVB number);
  • certificate of conformity (if applicable);
  • proof of roadworthiness following technical inspection (TÜV certificate);
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the payment of the vehicle tax.

You can schedule an appointment for your car registration here.

Useful information about the entire process (car registration, car insurance, expenses) is available here.

Religious institutions

Görlitz/Zgorzelec and their neighborhoods provide numerous religious sites. Please find an overview here:

Dining out

Görlitz and its province offer a variety of food options and different cuisines (German, Polish, French, Italian, Greek, Japan, Turkish, and Syrian). Close to the CASUS building you can find several restaurants, bars and cafes. They are mainly located in the Old Town (Untermarkt and Obermarkt), in the city center (around Berliner Straße), and on both sides of the river Neiße, which marks the border between Germany and Poland.

By the way, the German term eine Kneipe refers to a bar or pub where you can enjoy drinks alongside a traditional meal.

Waste separation and recycling

Separating and recycling waste is very common in Germany to keep our environment clean. You can find concise instructions here.

The price for bottled drinks (in plastic and glass containers) includes a deposit which is refunded upon returning the empty container. Disposal stations for return are commonly located in supermarkets