Görlitz forms with neighboring Zgorzelec just across the river Neiße the German-Polish Euro-city of Görlitz-Zgorzelec.
Located in the heart of Europe and at the intersection of three countries (Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic), Görlitz/Zgorzelec offers picturesque natural and historic monuments, a local international cuisine, and an open-minded international community.
Görlitz/Zgorzelec combines the advantages of both big and smaller cities: cultural and touristic attractions, short distances, local shops, and a friendly environment.
Görlitz offers interesting events throughout the year. Well-known cultural festivals include the ViaThea (an international summer street theater), the Neisse Film Festival, the Old Town Festival and the Christmas Market. Further information on upcoming events and exhibitions in Görlitz/Zgorzelec can be found under useful links.
If you are fond of outdoor activities Görlitz/Zgorzelec and surroundings offer several options:
- Lake Berzdorf: bike roads, sailing possibilities, BBQ areas, public beaches and playgrounds;
- Landeskrone Mountain: scenic views and a mountain restaurant;
- Königshain Mountains: cycling trails, natural climbing walls, a castle and a lake;
- Görlitz zoo (open all year round);
- Helenenbad: outdoor swimming pool open in the summer season;
- Görlitz city walking and hiking trails;
- Neiße river: boat and kayak trips;
- Outdoor ice-skating arena open in the winter season.
On cold and rainy days, Görlitz/Zgorzelec offers varied entertainment for all tastes:
- movies and theaters;
- historic buildings, monuments and museums;
- Indoor sports: fitness studios, swimming pools, skate park, ice-skating arena.
The International Office will be glad to help plan leisure activities Görlitz/Zgorzelec and even across the border in neighboring Poland and the Czech Republic.
Görlitz/Zgorzelec offers many shopping opportunities. You will find small crafts shops, boutiques and specialized shops along the historic walls in Görlitz old town. Fashion-enthusiasts will find in Görlitz city center the Strassburg Shopping Arcade and the Citycenter mall. Additional shopping malls are located in a pedestrian area along Berliner Straße, in Jacobstraße, close to the Neiße Park. Just across the river on the Polish side, Zgorzelec offers the Plaza Center, the Galeria Slowianska and the Eden Park.
Photo: Europastadt GmbH, Reiner Weisflog
(1) Berzdorf Lake
(2) Neisse Görlitz
Theater and cinemas
- Berzdorf lake
- Europamarathon 2020
- Indoor skatepark and ice rink Zgorzelec
- Indoor Swimming pool Görlitz
- Indoor Swimming pool Zgorzelec
- Outdoor activities
- Sport Center in Zgorzelec