International OfficeBefore arrivalUpon arrival Living in GörlitzFamily friendlyWorking in GörlitzPublic transportation Leisure activities Emergencies and medical needsLeaving Germany

Before arrival

We will assist you in preparing your relocation to Germany. Depending on your country of citizenship and the duration of your stay, some or all of the following legal formalities may be required:

  • Visa. (Non-EU citizens need to apply for a visa in their country of citizenship. Please note that it may take several months for the visa to be issued);
  • Valid passport or ID card (usually sufficient for EU-citizens);
  • Biometric passport photographs for German immigration documents;
  • Academic records
  • University diplomas and degrees. Please make sure that your academic records are officially recognized in Germany;
  • Other legal documents (including your spouse’s and children’s), such as birth certificates, marriage certificate, vaccination records, school certificates. Please make sure that all your documents are legalized for international use;
  • Driver’s license
    Specific rules apply to licenses issued by EU- and non-EU countries. Generally, a driver’s license issued in a country outside of the EU will be valid for 6 months;
  • Travel health insurance valid for your travel and initial period in Germany;
  • Medical records (especially if you suffer from any chronic condition);
  • Proofs of financial resources (for example your CASUS/HZDR salary).
  • Sufficient financial resources for the initial period in Germany.